Decision making is the actual selection among alternatives to a course of action. It is the core of planning.
The main function in the process of decision making is the identification of the problem. Which exists in an organization.
Characteristics of Decision Making
Following characteristics of decision making may be visualized by the study and analysis of aforesaid definitions:
1. Mental and Intellectual Process
Decision making is a mental and intellectual process because whatever decisions are taken, they are based on logical deliberations to make them more rational.
For which intelligence, knowledge, experience, educational level, and mental facilities are essential.
Similarly, in decision making, the voice of inner consciousness is also important, along with intellectual logic.
2. It is a Process
Decision making is a process to find out the solution to any problem or for the achievement of a specific result, problems are well analyzed, during the course of decision making.
Facts are obtained and analyzed and alternative solutions are developed and the best possible alternative is selected and in the end, the decision is taken and implemented.
Related: 8 Major Steps of the Decision Making Process in Business (With Examples).
3. It is an Indicator of Commitment
This is an indicator of commitment because decision making ties up with the result of its decision.
The decision-maker has to bear the result of the decisions of one or the other form.
Not only that, but decision making is also the indicator of commitment because, for its implementations, individual and collective efforts are required.
4. It is a Best Selected Alternative
Decision making is the best-selected Alternative.
The best alternative is selected, out of two or more possible alternatives, for solving any problem.
5. Decision-Making Might be Positive or Negative
Decision making is positive or negative. The decision of implementing any plan to do some work is positive, whereas the decision not to do any work or not to implement and plan is negative.
Hence, negative decisions are also as good decisions, as are positive decisions.
Related: 22 Types of Planning in Business Management.
6. It is the Last Process
Decision making is the last stage of the planning process because the result of the work is derived from it.
This result is derived after detailed logical deliberations about various possible alternatives.
That is why, decision making which is the last process, is the conclusion of the intellectual analysis, discussions, deliberations, comparative and analytic study of the alternatives.
7. Decision Making is a Pervasive Function
Decision making is a pervasive function because it is used in all business and non-business organizations, for all managerial activities, all the levels of Management, and in all countries, etc.
Decision making, being a pervasive function, many scholars regard decision making and management as synonymous.
8. Continuous and Dynamic Process
This is a continuous process because decisions are to be taken continuously in the business organizations, for routine and Special Tasks.
Besides, it is a dynamic also, because the situations and circumstances of each decision are different than the situations and circumferences of the preceding decisions.
Related: 14 Nature of Business Environment (With Examples).
9. It is a Measurement of Performance
Decision making is a measurement on the basis of which the success or failure and execution or non-execution of the decisions taken by the managers depends.
Hence, the evolution of the efficiency of managers, etc. is possible by the measurement of decision making.
10. It is a Human and Social Process
Decision making is a human and social process also because all human factors are to be kept into consideration, before the final selection of any particular alternative, in the decision-making process.
Similarly, it also includes the use of intuition and Justice.
11. It is n Art and Science, Both
Decision making is an art because decisions are taken for achieving certain pre-decided objectives, which is possible only by using knowledge, talents, imagination, and foresightedness.
Besides, decision making is science also, since in decision making certain sequences are used in a particular sequence.
Principles, causes, and outcomes of decision making have a relationship.
Related: How Management is an Art or Science or Both (With Example).
12. Other Characteristics
- A new decision emerges from the decision making process.
- Decision making is synonymous with Management.
- Decision making is part of planning.
- The forecast is part of decision making.
- Decision making is different from the decision.
Thus, now you know the characteristics of decision making in an organization.
- 15 Key Characteristics of Entrepreneurial Environment
- 13 Nature and Characteristics of Planning in Management
- Top 12 Techniques of Decision Making (Step by Step)
- 8 Key Factors Affecting Span of Control (Explained with Examples)
- Top 15 Features of Good and Effective Control System
- 10 Main Factors Affecting Marketing Environment (Explained)
- 6 Main Aspects of External Environmental Analysis (Explained)
- 11 Types of Price Quotation (Widely Used in International Marketing)
- 23 Key Benefits and Importance of Establishing Sales Territory (With Examples)
Matovu abdu says
How can you overcome the problem of insurbodination in the company