Advertising through radio, cinema and television have become very popular and common. It is a part of indoor advertising.
Broadcast media is a personal medium that gives a human touch.
Types of Broadcast Media Advertising
Following are the broadcast media or entertaining advertising types:
1. Radio Advertising
Radio advertising sid described as “word of mouth advertising on a large scale“.
It appeals through the ears. Nowadays all radio stations all over the world broadcast commercial advertising.
The advertisers prepare the programme beforehand keeping in view the interests of the listeners.
Here, the message is delivered orally, not visually.
This advertisement can be made through a spot announcement or through sponsored programmes. It has two forms:
A. Spot Announcements
These are short advertisements with a duration of a few words.
These may consist of opinions, dialogues, etc.
Their cost is usually less.
B. Sponsored Programmes
They require a longer time and hence their costs are usually high. They create interest in the listeners.
They are presented with musical entertainment, dramas etc.
Its common example is Binaca Heet Mala of Srilanka Broadcasting Corporation.
2. Television Advertising
It is the latest and novel method of advertising. It provides the coordination of sound, sight, motion and immediacy that no other medium provides.
It combines radio, movies and theatre. It is a colourful presentation.
In this medium, the salesman can present and demonstrate the product. It is like personal selling.
A variety of techniques reused to produce the commercial message like ‘line action‘ cartoon, puppets and stop motion.
It has a promising role to play in the advertising world.
3. Advertising Films
Commercial films are produced to publicize the products with a story.
They prove effective because they give the oral and visual message.
They create interest in younger customers. Advertising films possess entertainment value.
These are shown when the audience is eager to see the main picture.
Films can be used for the concentration of advertising efforts in certain areas.
These are exhibited in cinema houses. They produce the effect like posters.
These are exhibited on the screen for an agreed period.
The slides are shown before the cinema shows or during the intermission.
Generally, bold letters and eye-catching colours are used in slides.
Mostly, local retailers make use of of this medium.
5. Video Advertising
This medium has grown rapidly in advertising circles.
Video commercial films are produced to make publicity of products.
Sometimes, video commercials are linked with film cassettes which are used by video audience.
This advertising is shown in video parlours and clubs.
6. Cable TV Advertising
Cable TV has opened up various avenues for advertisers to promote their products.
It is in the form of spots sold to national advertisers on programming on networks. cable offers the opportunity to create innovative advertisements.
This medium is ideal for products that require demonstration.
This medium gives immediate response. Here, we have some idea of the target audience.
It is a good medium for advertising products like ceasefire meant for the upper-middle and middle classes.
Only national advertisers use this medium.
7. Drama and Music Programme
This medium is used largely for advertising in rural areas.
Advertisement is presented with religious dramas and music programmes.
Advantages of Broadcast Media Advertising
- It is a vehicle of mass communications.
- It has a deep impact on the minds and emotions of the audience.
- It is a highly flexible and selective medium.
- It makes life lie presentation. It is creative and persuasive.
- It includes popular means like radio, television, drama, music etc.
- The message can be changed according to the requirements of the product or listeners.
- People listen to the radio and watch TV at leisure time. Thus, the selling message can be easily conveyed to them due to their receptive mood.
Disadvantages of Broadcast Media Advertising
- It is highly perishable as compared with press media.
- The cost of time and talent of this medium is very high.
- All goods are not suitable for this medium.
- It is able to appeal only to those people who use these entertaining means.
- Effectiveness of this advertising cannot be measured easily.
- It is often argued that some radio, TV programmes and commercial films are of poor taste. Vulgarity, nude symbols are often used for advertising.
Thus, now you know the types of broadcast media advertising.